WORD OF THE YEAR [Makers Monday Motivation 1.1.18]
YEAH it’s 2018!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Today is my favorite day of the year.
Week one. Day one.
A clean slate.
A fresh start.
A time for renewal and rebirth.
A moment teaming with potential and hope.
It is also the day when I do one of my favorite annual traditions, picking my ‘Word of The Year’!
Ten years ago I decided to ditch writing New Year’s Resolutions and instead started the practice of selecting a single word at the start of each year to serve as a guiding theme for my life in the year ahead. The word I select is intended to represent a mindset, attitude, and overall focus that I want to embrace and have influence across many areas of my life.
For example, my 2017 word was ‘abundance.’ This word helped me approach the year reminding myself not to think out of scarcity, instead with the belief that I have more than enough. This word directly influenced me to take more risks personally for my own business, make more time for friends, our family stretching our monthly charitable giving, and taking the leap on a move cross-country.
It may seem simplistic, but I’ve found having a word of the year to be one of the most effective ways to make transformational change across many areas ones my life. I’m way more likely to keep my word of the year than my long list of resolutions. Maybe it will be effective for you also! Today, the first day of the new year, my Maker Motivation Challenge is to encourage you to try and pick a word for your year.
TRY IT: Pick a Word of The Year!
- Make a list. Get out a piece of paper and write down your hopes and dreams for what you would like to see happen in your life in 2018. Ask yourself questions like, “I will feel this year is a success if ______ happens”, or, “I will be happier tomorrow if I change _____ today.”
- Review your list. Is there a theme there? Is there a particular area of your life that if you did something different, it could really be a game changer for your business or overall well being?
- Pick your word. What single word reflects the action or outlook you feel most embodies what you want to accomplish this next year?
- Get to know your word. Look up your word in the dictionary. Find quotes about this word. Try to really understand what this word means for you and how you want it to become a part of your life. Is there someone you know who embodies this word or who is doing this word really well you could use as inspiration or a mentor?
- Set up reminders. Do whatever it takes to not forget this word. Write it on your fridge, put a note next to your desk at work, find a photo with this word on it to put on your wall. Immerse yourself in your word in every way you can think of.
- Find accountability. Tell those people closest to you your word. Have them be apart of your goals and dreams for the next year. Good friends will hold you accountable and help you achieve your goals, especially when it is so simple to remember.
Today I have a ten hour car ride home from Kentucky, so I plan to use this time on the road to pick my word. I’m sure you’ll be hearing about it in a Monday email in the future :) In the meantime, I’d love to hear what word you’ve chosen for 2018 or help you if you need any support don’t hesitate to reach out as you refine what your goals are for the year ahead.
I hope you have a wonderful Holiday!
We’re in this together,