BE THE BEST BOSS [Makers Monday Motivation 3.19.18]
Prior to launching my own business I spent many years working as an employee for other managers and bosses. Some of these people were amazing mentors and leaders, while others made my life miserable. So miserable that I’ll even credit an experience of working for one of the worst bosses I ever had as a key motivator for me to launch my own business.
Like most people, when I dreamed about launching my own business I was motivated by the desire to no longer report to someone else, to make my own rules, and to have the autonomy to create the ideal life and work environment I wanted and knew I could thrive in.
I took the leap to work for myself because I desired the freedom that comes with self-employment.
Today, over four years into this adventure I believe this freedom is possible. That said, in my work as a coach, working with hundreds of folks who have taken the brave leap to go out on their own, I will say this freedom isn’t simply a give-in. You have to be intentional to create the lifestyle you desire.
To much dismay, I’ve watched so many passionate, creative people end up creating unbearable work conditions for themselves, working insane hours, never taking breaks, not creating clear expectations and goals for themselves, and in the end ultimately become their own worst boss.
My question for you this week is...would you want to work for you? Or, in your pursuit for success in self-employment have you become your own worst boss?
Do you never let yourself disconnect? Has your work become your whole life? Are you demanding and unforgiving? Do you create unrealistic expectations for what you will accomplish? If you currently run your creative business as a side-hustle, how are you as a manager of your part-time job?
For this week’s Monday Motivation Challenge I want you to step back and reflect on what type of boss you are, or want type of boss you would like to become for your own business.
- What qualities do you look for in a dream boss?
- If you were looking for a new job with a new employer, what criteria would you look for in the work culture and the leadership?
- How many of those qualities do you believe you currently have or implement in your own creative business?
- From the outside looking in, would you want to work for you? Be honest!
- Take some time to reflect and give yourself a 360’ review.
- What things are you doing really well as a manager of your own business?
- What area(s) is there room for improvements?
- Can you make a plan to start creating your dream workplace?
Let’s face it, if you are going to be your own boss, you might as well be the best darn boss you ever had. You do have freedom in self-employment, that means it is entirely up to you to determine how you are going to treat yourself. ant some support getting there? I’d love to work with you. Schedule a free 30 min intro coaching phone-session.
We’re in this together,